“The grass is always greener on the other side”, is such a common phrase, we have heard it many times and it’s related to this habit a lot of us have of always thinking that what is not ours is better, but yes this is still gardening blog so in the actual grass department you can actually change this perspective and where there is a dry sad yard, you can have a beautiful, super green grass to call your own. The secret to achieving this is finding good grass seed. Before you go out to buy your seed, there are important things you should know about choosing grass seeds, this way you won’t waste money, and you will end up with the best result possible. Wondering what is the best grass seed to use? Well, read on because today you will discover the best lawn seed.
Here are some things you should take into consideration before choosing your grass seed. Planting grass is something take takes a bit more effort than just throwing some seeds on the soil, turning on the sprinkler, and letting fate decide.
- How much is your lawn used? There are some types of grass that are not fit for areas where there is a lot of walking around on it. If you use your yard often, your grass needs to be hardy, one that can last for long and will look amazing at the same time.
- The weather. Choose your grass according to the weather in your area, different types adapt better to cool or warm weather. If you get very intense, hot summers with droughts that are frequent, you’ll want to use a warm-season type of grass. If what you have is warm weather but also a lot of snow, the best option might be grass for the cool season.
- Starting from scratch, redoing the whole yard, or just filling in the places with some bald patches? This answer will help you in deciding how much seed you will have to buy. You should know the size of the area you want grassy in before you go get seeds.
- How much sunlight do you get in your yard? This is something important for you to be aware of when choosing your seed. Otherwise, you might choose a seed that needs more sun than you get in your yard, for example, and that will just cause a waste of your precious planting time.
- Amount of grass seed to buy. First, you need to find out the square footage your yard has. Once you have that you just need to check on the grass seed bags for the coverage numbers, there are two, to figure out how much seed you will need to get. The bigger number tells you how much square footage the bag can cover in the case that you are reseeding, overseeding, your yard. The smaller number informs you how many square feet the amount in the bag can cover if you are starting from nothing, just soil in your yard, or if you have bald spots that you want to fill.
- Pay attention to Temporary Grass Seeds. If it says on the bag that the lawn created will be temporary, I would recommend that you avoid it because, in the end, it might really not be worth it, since in order to have a decent amount of grass you will probably have to replant these seeds every year. The lawn will most likely die after a while so it’s best if you save yourself this extra work and choose a better seed to start off with.
Now that you have some more information about picking the best grass seed to plant. I will give you here a list of the top-rated grass seeds:
Overall Best Seed for Grass: Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed Sunny Mix
There are those spots that are always getting scorched by the sun during the whole day, and no matter how much you try you just can’t get that patch of land to stay green. If this sounds familiar to you, the best grass seed to use may be the Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed Sunny Mix. It works well in places that get a small amount of natural shade from trees or buildings, it is resistant to droughts, and doesn’t require much to thrive, in terms of attention, water, or fertilizer layers. The seed was designed in a way that makes its water absorption and retention better than in more regular lawn seeds, which means that, in comparison to uncoated seeds, it can stay moist for twice as long. Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed Sunny Mix is made to thicken up patches that are thin and fill up bald spots. One bag with three pounds is enough for an area of 675 square feet if you are starting from point zero, if you’re planning on overseeding then it can cover double of that area.
Best Quality Grass Seed for Cool Season: Nature’s Seed Fine Fescue Grass Seeds Blend
Nature’s Seed Fine Fescue Grass Seeds Blend is an amazing mixture of seeds that contain seeds collected from growers and collectors of seeds from wildland, combined with the choices of seeds of the company’s production fields. It contains the same amounts of the seeds sheep fescue, hard fescue, creeping’s fescue, and chewing’s fescue, mixed together. It is a great option to revive a stressed lawn that has suffered from weather conditions that were harsh. This blend is great for those particularly difficult places that tend to get uneven with time, areas that are long and get a lot of foot traffic on it, or that get dry shade. To seed up to 1,000 square feet a bag with 8 pounds will be enough. They offer bags with an amount to seed from small(500 square feet) to large(up to 5,000 Square feet) areas. It maintains its green color for a long and withstands even soils that are tougher, it also doesn’t need a bit amount of fertilizer.
Best Lawn Grass Seed for Dogs and Pets: Scotts EZ Seed Dog Spot Repair Sun and Shade
While dogs and pets are amazing and definitely can improve the quality of your life a lot, their necessities of feces and urine on your lawn can cause some brown or yellow spots to appear in the beautiful lawn that you could once admire. If this is the case for you, this may be the best grass seed. Scotts EZ Seed Dog Spot Repair Sun and Shade will, after just a few applications, be able to restore the glorious beauty to your lawn. The bag with 2.4 pounds will work for most types of lawn conditions. In areas where you have intense sunlight and areas where there is a lot of shade. Sprinkling the mulched mix in the places where your pets have done their work, pulled up the grass by digging, pee spots, or created those little pathways from walking around, will restore your grass to its former glory.
Top Grass Seed for Warm Season: Pennington Annual Ryegrass Grass Seed
You have tried and tried to grow your grass so it becomes free, healthy, gorgeous and despite your best efforts haven’t had success in your endeavors. Maybe the issue is that you’re not using the right speed for the weather in your area. If you are in an area with a warmer climate, the Pennington Annual Ryegrass Grass Seed mix might finally give you your grass breakthrough in a short amount of time even. Many people who reviewed them found sprouting happening just a few days after sprinkling on their lawns this warm season strong grass seeds. And with this high-quality grass seed, you can have an all-year-long bright green grass. It interacts best with Zoysia and Bermuda grasses. To cover up to 2,000 square feet or more, the bag with 10 pounds is enough, this will depend also on the number of areas that you want to have a fast-growing seed boost by adding the mix. And during winter when your grass is becoming sad and down, adding this will help bring them back to life.
Now that you know more about finding high-quality grass seed, with some options for you to start with, I hope that you find that the grass can be greener on your side too!
- Our article was helpful for you, green finger? Great and how exactly?
- You didn't like it? But why this happened?