Roses are a real decoration of the garden, like all plants, they are susceptible to damage by pests, including aphids.
For the beauty of the flower and the wondrous aroma, the rose has been considered the queen of the garden since ancient times. Flower lovers will always find a corner in the garden for their favorite flower and consider the time spent caring for it the best rest. Hoeing the soil, feeding the plant, the hostess constantly whispers magic words of tenderness, and the grateful flower dissolves the flower glass even more magnificently, enveloping the hostess with a delicate aroma.
The fight against aphids on roses can last the whole season and be carried out with varying success because getting rid of these green insects on roses for good is almost impossible. However, there are methods that can reduce the number of treatments and enjoy the flowering of roses peacefully.
Experienced gardeners do not wait for greenfly on roses or characteristic traces to appear on the leaves, but carry out the first treatment for aphids in the spring, that is, they are ahead of the curve. But one time, alas, is not enough, depending on the chosen remedy, you will have to repeat the steps from 3 to 7-9 times.
Why aphids are dangerous for roses
Rose green aphid (and it is this species that occupies your thorny plantations) can destroy flowers both by itself and by transferring diseases. If you find even a small colony of aphids on knockout roses or rose flowers, it is not worth pulling with the treatment – it will not dissolve by itself.
Aphid damage on roses promise you a lot of problems:
- curling and yellowing of leaves;
- deformation and drying of buds and flowers;
- covering the leaves with a sticky powdery bloom, rose lice or white bugs on roses;
- the reproduction of a black soot fungus on a powdery coating, which reduces the level of photosynthesis;
- infection of plants with viral and fungal diseases;
- the death of a weakened plant or all plants in the rose garden (in especially advanced cases).
Aphids can be defeated if you know the cycle of their development. The main thing is not to miss the period of laying eggs, which are not affected by various infusions, decoctions, and chemicals. To preserve the beauty of roses, bugs on rose bushes must be removed immediately after they appear. One female produces more than 20 thousand new individuals, which can infect not only roses but other plants as well.
It spreads very quickly and forms entire aphids on roses vinegar. The parasites suck the juices from the flower, which leads to the weakening and disease of the plant. These small light-colored midges carry many diseases, which is an additional danger to roses. There are various control methods to get rid of pests and prevent insects on knockout roses.
How to get rid of aphids on roses?
In a room home rose:
With a small lesion of a room rose, you can use homemade pesticide for roses to fight the pest.
Aphids on roses treatment can be eliminated with natural insecticide for roses: soapy water, garlic infusion, tobacco broth, wormwood decoction, yarrow decoction, tomato or potato tops decoction, wood ash.
- To destroy white mites on roses with soapy water, you need to take a bar of laundry soap (300 grams) and a bucket of water. For quick dissolution, the soap must be grated. You need to use this DIY aphid spray for roses within 2 weeks.
- For the infusion of garlic, take 1 large head of garlic and 1 liter of water. Garlic in the husk must be crushed in a mortar, then poured with water, mixed, and left for a day. Spray the plant until the green bugs on roses are completely eliminated. It can be a natural remedy for aphids on roses.
- An effective method is the use of tobacco broth. For him, take cigarettes without a filter or makhorka. Remove tobacco from cigarettes and add water in a ratio of 1:10. You need to insist on 2 days. After the infusion, it is necessary to boil for two hours. The resulting concentrate is diluted 1: 1 with water before use. You need to spray a rose 1 time in 10 days, within a month. When spraying, the soil in the pot is covered with cling film or a sheet of paper. When the solution penetrates the soil, it can lead to the wilting of the rose.
- For a decoction of wormwood, you need to take 200 grams of fresh grass or 100 grams of dried wormwood and 1 liter of water. Boil the herb in water for 30 minutes. The cooled broth is diluted 1: 1 before use. Spray the rose daily for 10 days.
- You can also use a decoction of yarrow. The aphids on roses home remedy require 800 grams of grass and a bucket of water. The aerial part of the plant must be harvested during the flowering period. The grass needs to be dried, and then pour boiling water over and insist for half an hour. After that, you need to add water to the desired volume. The solution is filtered, grated soap is added to it and the bushes are sprayed.
- For a decoction of tomato or potato tops, 200 grams of freshly harvested tops and 1 liter of water are required. You need to cook for 20 minutes. With a cooling solution, you need to spray the plant, and water the bush.
In the garden:
How to kill aphids on roses? You can use various infusions, decoctions and other best insecticides for roses listed above.
In case of severe damage, another method can be used instead of spraying. Plants need to be dipped in a container with a decoction and infusion, this will completely process the bush and enhance the effect.
Ammonia allows you to get rid of the pest and feed the rose. The product consists of a bucket of water and 50 milliliters of ammonia. For the best effect, a quarter of a bar of soap is added to the solution.
Chemical rose bugs treatment is used to quickly eliminate pests.
To combat aphids in the garden, you can use chemicals of 3 groups:
- systemic action.
The drug of contact action leads to the death of roses bugs when the substance enters the surface of their body.
The drug of intestinal action enters the body of the parasite through the mouth and leads to its poisoning and death.
A systemic chemical after use is in plant cells for a month. Such a drug is harmful to various insects and more dangerous to humans.
How to deal with rose pests and diseases:
Ants are carriers and protectors of aphids. They feast on the sweet milk secreted by insects. If a lot of ants appear in the rose garden, you need to immediately look under the leaves of the bushes. The sweet discharge also provokes the appearance of a sooty fungus (black fungus) and other diseases. With the deformation of young buds and leaves on a rose, the appearance of holes, access to other infections appears. At the same time, the plant becomes weak and unattractive in appearance with aphids on rose bushes.
At the first signs of aphid damage to roses, the pest can be washed off from a hose with water or insects can be removed mechanically (by crushing them with your fingers). You need to wash off the parasites for several days in a row.
When using any infusions and decoctions, you can add laundry soap to enhance the effect. Take 30 grams of grated soap on a bucket of medicine.
An effective method is to use vodka.
Vodka or ethyl alcohol diluted up to 40% allows you aphid control on roses at the first treatment. Add 280 milliliters of water to 200 milliliters of alcohol and mix. Treatment with vodka or alcohol solution is carried out using a spray bottle.
To fight with rose aphids, chemicals such as Decis, Khostakvik, Fufanon, Fas, Tsipermethrin, Iskra, Fitoferm, Kinmiks, Karate, Intavir, Bi-58, Topaz, Aktara, Confidor, Bankol, Alatar are used. Many gardeners use them only as a last resort, as they can destroy beneficial insects.
If the use of chemicals is unavoidable, you need to know how to properly spray.
Flowers are sprayed early in the morning or late in the evening. In this case, damage to plants by chemical burns can be prevented.
The solution must be evenly distributed throughout the bush, but at the same time, it should not drain to the ground. It is impossible to use the same chemical all the time since resistance to the drug appears and the effect of further struggle weakens.
Herbal preparations are more gentle and safer. In the light, these drugs quickly lose their toxicity; it is better to use them in the evening.
Mechanical methods of aphid control:
- manual collection (with single appearances of aphids, it is crushed without removing it from the plant). If the aphid has settled on the buds, then hugging the bud with your palm, wipe it with an upward movement. With insignificant quantities, almost all aphids on the buds will die,
- rinsing with a stream of water. Aphids are inactive and die when washed away. Flushing can be carried out with a clean stream of water during irrigation or with specially prepared solutions.
Prevention of aphid control
Aphids overwinter in fallen leaves, tree bark, weed grass, and waking up, when the air warms up to +12 degrees, begins to look for food. To prevent the appearance of these parasites and bugs on roses, all fallen leaves and leaves in the fall must be collected and burned.
Trees and bushes growing near roses in autumn and spring should be treated with protective solutions. The neighbors of aphids can be a spider mite, a rose leafhopper, which appears when roses are weakened, it is for this reason that aphids should not be allowed to breed.
You may ask: “how do I protect my roses from bugs?”
If you scare away aphids in time and prevent their reproduction, the rose garden can be saved. When buying indoor and garden roses, you need to pay attention to their appearance.
When ants appear, their nests must be destroyed, and insects must be removed with a mixture of boric acid and sugar. In the absence of ants, the likelihood of aphid appearance decreases.
Effective prevention is the use of phosphorus-potassium fertilizers. For the solution, mix 10 grams of superphosphate, 5 grams of potassium salt, a bucket of water. After two days, the solution is ready. After 2 weeks, spraying must be repeated.
For the prevention of tiny black bugs on roses, the earth and the roots of the bushes around are watered with a solution of urea: 500 grams of the substance per bucket of water. This should be done in early spring before bud break. A week later, the ground must be sprayed with copper sulfate: 200 grams per 10 liters of water.
Scented plants can be planted next to the bushes to protect against aphids. The best neighbors for roses are carrots, garlic, parsley, onions, fennel, and dill. These plants attract hoverflies, which feed on aphids. In addition to these flies, aphids like to eat, spiders, earwigs, ladybugs.
What to put on roses for bugs? you can scare off them with:
- dalmatian chamomile
- For home roses, geranium is the best neighbor
- Our article was helpful for you, green finger? Great and how exactly?
- You didn't like it? But why this happened?